Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Where's The Music?

I heard Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" today and I remembered how I almost cried the first time I heard it. Thats because I was passing through a horrible phase at the time. I screwed up my exams, lost any hope of getting into a good college, was in a depressed mood, visited Oly and Mirage even more frequently, and I didn't know Bukowski back then; I was a complete mess. I heard it then. It sounded like a Chinese rip-off at first and I didn't really get the lyrics. MiniLyrics(software which automatically downloads lyrics in the .lrc format) downloaded the lyrics after that. And I almost cried. The next thing I know I was banging my head like it was a metal song. I suddenly became obsessed with Dylan. I played the song on repeat mode, shaking my head in rhythm, shouting the lyrics in sync with Dylan's singing, started downloading his wallpapers, looking for quotes, downloaded his discography, so on and so forth.

Whatever happened to songs with good lyrics, and I dont mean love shit. I dont mean the Beyonce and the Alicia Keys and all that stuff. I mean John Lennon and Kurt Cobain and Radiohead. There are very few of them remaining. The winning formula to a song nowadays seems to be a catchy singular tune, some singing, a chorus like "We're gonna party aww night yeah", a very famous rap artist feature, a good bass (very important) and a sleazy video, with a lot of girls and a few guys b-boying. The number of artists adopting this formula is not even funny. It's sad really.

0 comments: